see also “Become an IELTS Examiner with JSAF“
Study Abroad Advisor
Degree and area of specialization:
1. Bachelor degree required, Masters or other advanced degree in a relevant field preferred.
2. International study or international living experience or internationally focused degree required.
3. Computer efficiency with word processing required.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
1. Minimum one year prior experience in study abroad management, student services, or international studies required.
2. Previous work experience with undergraduates in an institution of higher learning preferred.
3. Excellent organizational, management, and office skills.
4. Demonstrated experience working successfully in a high-traffic, high-demand environment and ability to meet deadlines in a timely manner.
5. Supervisory experience preferred.
6. Experience with database or spreadsheet programs.
7. Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills, and a sense of humor.
8. Fluent in Japanese
Permanent residence or working permit status
JSAF currently administers more than 47 campus-wide study abroad and exchange programs. Annually, JSAF sends close to 150 students abroad. The Study Abroad Advisor provides services to students who apply for, participate in, and return from study abroad programs. Further information about JSAF can be found on the web site: http://www.japanstudyabroad.org
Primary duties include:
1. Manage, with considerable independence of action, all student service functions associated with a portfolio of study abroad programs. Work will include program publicity and student recruitment, application processing, student selection, pre-departure preparation, returned student services.
2. Counsel and advise student applicants and participants about all aspects of study abroad program opportunities available through JSAF.
3. Counsel and advise students and parents on student preparation and personal needs throughout the study abroad experience.
4. Serve as liaison between JSAF and partner universities.
5. Gather and analyze information about programs including student evaluations, with the goal of identifying areas for program improvement, and academic statistics.
6. Organize campus visits of guests from partner universities related to assigned programs.
7. Communicate with overseas program offices to coordinate the flow of student services information between partner institutions, and the home office.
8. Travel to overseas sites as necessary to monitor programs and to implement agreed upon adjustments.
9. Update and maintain procedure manuals for other staff members.
10. Work as part of a student service team to manage the work of the office related to student services (assignments may include: conducting and/or organizing public presentations; hiring, training, and supervising students; providing information to students while they are overseas; providing information about student services functions to overseas partner universities; developing and implementing a plan for marketing programs in various mediums; coordinating study abroad fairs; developing and updating orientation materials and assisting with group orientations; advise incoming students during application and orientation stages (in future); data report compilation, analysis, and presentation; oversee the design and maintenance of the JSAF website.)
11. Assist in preparing for and/or attending program consortium meetings and advisory committee meetings.
12. Participate in a rotation of being on call for study abroad emergencies when office is closed (evenings and weekends).
13. Other duties and special projects as assigned by the supervisor or JSAF Director/President.
1. Responsible for all aspects of Academic English and TOEFL/IELTS preparation class management within their designated classes, helping Japanese students achieve their academic goals through English language instruction and preparation for tests. (occasional)
2. Prepare lesson plans according to established syllabus -Maintain a classroom atmosphere conducive to learning, including maintaining classroom facilities
3. Maintain accurate record keeping for daily attendance and student performance
4. Complete all paperwork within required deadlines -Test, evaluate, and counsel students regarding their academic performance and goals
5. Attend staff meetings and in-house workshops
6. participate in ongoing teacher training programs
7. Become familiar with and adhere to organization policies and procedures
8. Tutor students as assigned and if available
9. Work with academic supervisor to improve delivery of academic programs
10. Accept and incorporate feedback on classroom performance to ensure positive and meaningful student experience
11. Effectively communicate with school administrative staff regarding planned and unplanned absences
12. Provide clear instructions and materials for substitutes
Minimum Qualifications for Teaching:
Bachelor Degree or equivalent -1-2+ year prior English language teaching experience -Superior skills in creating a dynamic, interactive classroom experience -Must be authorized to work in Japan
Preferred Qualifications for Teaching
TESOL Certificate or Master’s Degree preferred -Experience with industry, international students and/ or overseas teaching experience
The position is a full time 100% appointment. The title to be used will be dependent on qualifications and years of experience. Salary will depend on the level and title at which the new employee is hired. A one-year period of evaluation is required.
The starting date for the person hired for this position is negotiable.
A period of evaluation will be required
Appointment type: Academic Staff
Full time salary rate: Depending on Qualifications
Bonus: two times a year (a minimum of a basic salary)
Transportation fee: Yes
Benefits: Yes (health and unemployment benefits)
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Appointment percent: 100%
Number of positions: 1
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send application materials consisting of a letter of interest, current resume, and three letters of reference to:
Japan Study Abroad Foundation (JSAF)
Mitsui Seimei Bldg. 1F,
1-4-15, Takadanobaba, Shinjuku-ku
Tokyo 169-0075 JAPAN
Tel: (81) (0)3-5287-2941 (JSAF)
Fax: (81) (0)3-5287-2943
Application materials may also be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Letters of reference may arrive under separate cover. All application materials must arrive by 17:00PM on deadline day. NOTE: Unless confidentiality is requested in writing, information regarding the names of applicants must be released upon request. Finalists cannot be guaranteed confidentiality.